- Posted by Jessica Bennett
- On March 14, 2017
- 0 Comments
Many kids are vocal about their dislike of the idea of visiting their dentists. Starting proper dental hygiene at a young age is essential for your kid’s health. It provides long-term benefits when you educate them on the importance of oral health.
You can not convince your kids to visit their dentist no matter what even if you tell them he is voted best pediatric dentist. How then do you convince your kids to visit their dentists? The key is choosing the best one in your area.
Locating the Best Pediatric Dentistry Practitioner
There may be lots of dental practitioners who specialized in pediatric dentistry in your location but how do you know he is the right one for your kids? Here are some key points to consider in choosing the best one:
Ask Your Pediatrician
Talk to your trusted pediatrician or your relatives about finding the best pediatric dentistry practitioner. Ask them to recommend a dentist who specializes in pediatric dentistry in your locality. For a thorough search, go the websites of dental schools and medical centers near you. Read every resource there and look for some reviews.
Research More About the Dentist
Dentists for kids take a pediatric dentistry course for two additional years after regular dentistry school. They are trained to handle kids teeth and oral health needs. What’s best about them is their ability to give children advice about a healthy diet to follow. They are also able to educate your children about proper brushing and flossing. They can deal with crying children and those throwing tantrums.
Visit the Clinic
Finally, now that you have done your research, visit the dentist of your choice and check their clinic. Be sure the clinic is child-friendly. How do you know its child-friendly? You will know by the furniture first. They must have furniture and fixtures tailor for kids.
Then check if they have toys, crayons, drawing booklets, etc. Observe the receptionist, the front desk people, and the hygienist. Are they friendly? If you feel they can handle stress, then they may be the best choice.
Facts About Pediatric Dentistry
Here are some facts about your child’s dental health:
- Before baby’s teeth erupt, always use a soft gauze pad to clean their gums after every feeding. Use a cool teething ring to ease the pain or use a wet gauze pad.
- Mostly the first lower two front teeth are the first to erupt. This happens between six to twelve months. Dental visits should begin at this point.
- Prevent tooth decay even at this age. Don’t allow your child to go to bed with a bottle with liquids like milk, juice and milk formula. Sugar will start to accumulate on their teeth.
- Ensure that kids have health habits and oral hygiene. Brushing their teeth must start as soon as they erupt. Use soft bristled brushes only. Start using toothpaste as soon as he can spit it out.
- Losing baby teeth starts around age six years old. The first to go are the upper and lower front teeth.
- The eruption of permanent teeth typically starts at the age of six to seven years old.
Finding the best dentist is never easy but bumping into a practitioner of pediatric dentistry is even harder. Research more about the pediatric dentists in your area, and make sure they are somebody you can entrust your kid’s oral health.